Here are some of my favourite tips on how to improve your diet and make it easier to stay organized and efficient with your nutrition. When making changes remember to start small, 2-3 goals a week, and once you make those habit then implement another 1-2. Diets are all about radical changes that are rarely sustainable - a lifestyle change takes time, patience and going a little easy on yourself :).
- Be organized, plan 2-3 dinners that can be made into leftovers and about 2 lunches that you won't have leftovers for - plan your grocery lists around this
- Buy a couple items for snacks there are somewhat self indulgent that you can eat small portions of - this way you don't feel deprived
- Buy veggies so that you can have some to cut up to have raw, some for at least 1-2 salads, and some to have as a side dish to one of your meals (stir-frying or roasting a bunch of veggies is a great way to have leftovers and ensure you are getting the appropriate servings)
- Buy extra meat to cook so that you can have leftovers for sandwiches rather than deli meat - at the very least buy deli meat that is nitrate and sulphite free
- When buying "bread" products ensure that at the very minimum you are purchasing 100% whole wheat, preferrably squirrely breads.
- Look for bread slices that are smaller than the traditional bread and look for hamburger buns that are of the thin variety
- Throw spinach, or spring greens in the cart rather than head lettuce or even romaine. The nutritional content is much better.
- Read labels and educate yourself - stay away from the inside of the store :)
- Eat beans more - substitute starchy type carbs for beans (rice, pasta)
- Eat fish 2 times per week
- Your plate should be 1/4 protein, 1/4 carb, and 1/2 veggies and look to have 2-3 colors on your plate
- Check serving sizes
- Use fruit, plain yogurt and a little agave nectar as a nice dessert
- Cook with olive oil or coconut oil
- Start your day with a glass of water and drink between meals
- Try nuts or seeds in your salad rather than croutons
- Use avocado in place of mayonaise as a spread
- Make your own salad dressings and use herbs, juice from freshly squeezed fruit, and olive oil
- Save things like cookies and other sweets for your afternoon snack so that you are not eating a bunch of sugar at night
- Make it a goal to look for a new recipe to cook so that you stay excited about your food